The Veen Firm, PC
free consultation

Bay Area Workers Ask The Expert -- February 2015

The Veen Firm proudly partners with the San Francisco Building and Construction Trades Council to provide legal help for Bay Area workers in the trades. Many complicated legal issues affect workers in our community. The Veen Firm is passionate about providing the education and resources needed to protect Bay Area workers. Real people submit questions, and the attorneys at The Veen Firm respond directly. This month’s expertise is provided by Kimberly Wong

I was injured while driving on the job. The police cited me and the other driver for failing to come to a complete stop where we both had stop signs. What should I do?

 You should immediately notify your employer of your injury so that your employer can report it to its workers’ compensation insurance company and take appropriate action. Employees injured on the job are generally entitled to workers’ compensation benefits from their employer. Benefits include medical treatment and disability payments related to the work injury. You should also notify your employer of the circumstances of the incident, vehicle damage, and injury to the other driver. Both you and the other driver may bring civil lawsuits against each other for your respective injuries. It is therefore important that you immediately report the incident to your insurance company. California follows a comparative fault system. Assuming both of you are at fault, your damages will be reduced by the percentage of your fault in causing the incident. Likewise, the other driver’s damages will be reduced by his or her percentage of fault. Because the incident occurred while you were working, your employer is also legally responsible for the other driver’s injuries to the same extent as you. Under California law, this is known as respondeat superior or vicarious liability. A thorough investigation is required to determine the respective fault of each driver. Obtaining and reviewing a copy of the police report is essential. You should be aware that sometimes police reports contain inaccuracies.For additional advice as to what you should do in your specific situation, you should consult with attorneys who specialize in workers’ compensation and personal injury claims as soon as possible because there are strict time limits under which you must act to protect your rights. 
-Kimberly Wong; The Veen Firm, PC, San Francisco, CA
(Reposted from the San Francisco Building & Construction Trades Council.)

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information
  •  Top 50 Car Accidents Verdicts Firm 2018
  • The national law journal
  • The Veen Firm, PC 2017 | Recognized By | Best Lawyers
  • Lexis Nexis Martindale Hubbel peer review rated for ethical standards and legal ability
  • Best Lawyers | Best Law Firms | U.S. News & World Report 2018
  • American Board Of Trial Advocates
  • The National Trial Lawyers The Association
  • National Academy of Personal Injury Attorneys
  • New Leaders Council
  • The Recorder | Best Of  2018 | Badge
  • The Veen Firm, PC 2017 | Recognized By | Best Lawyers
  • Leaders Forum | PATRON 2019
  • Best Lawyers | Law Firm Of The Year | 2019
  •  Legal Leaders | Top Rated Lawyers | 2019

How Can We Help You?

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy

20 Haight Street
San Francisco, CA 94102

Toll Free: 888-504-0157
Fax: 415-771-5845
Map & Directions

Office Hours: 8:30am-5:00pm, Monday - Friday

Schedule a Free Consultation

Call one of our attorneys today for a free consultation at 888-504-0157 or send us a fax at 415-771-5845. If you prefer to submit your request online, fill out our online form.

Referring Attorneys & Trial Associations

If you have a case you would like to discuss, call one of our attorneys today at 888-504-0157. If you prefer to submit your request online, fill out our online form.

free consultation 888-504-0157