Pool Filter Explodes, Leaving Man Permanently Brain Damaged

Synopsis

Shaffer Pools, a swimming-pool contractor, knew that pool filters operated under pressure, which posed a risk of serious injury or death to a person who leaned over a filter because its lid could blow off into the person’s head. Shaffer Pools constructed a swimming pool and hooked it up to existing pool equipment in the plaintiffs’ backyard, leaving the power switch for the equipment located where a person would need to lean over the filter to reach the switch.

In 2004, the plaintiffs’ Purex Pool Products CF 100 pool filter exploded. In the explosion, the filter’s lid rocketed into the plaintiff’s head, causing permanent brain damage. The filter was defective partly because the clamp which was supposed to hold the filter’s top and bottom together broke.

The plaintiffs sued Shaffer Pools, as well as the manufacturer of the filter’s clamp-RG Ray-and the manufacturer of the filter. The plaintiffs settled with Shaffer Pools and RG Ray but continue their lawsuit against the filter manufacturer.

News

  • Elinor Leary joins distinguished judges and seasoned trial lawyers as invited faculty for BASF’s “Women in Trial Training”
    Read more
  • Eight Veen attorneys selected for inclusion to the list of 2020 Northern California Super Lawyers
    Read more
  • The Veen Firm Congratulates Marian Wright Edelman and honors her commitment to the fight for social justice.
    Read More